Welcome back Jefferson Elementary students and families! It is Jefferson's 60th birthday this year and we are ready for an exciting year. We have some many things to be grateful and to look forward to including:
- * We are thrilled to announce the addition of our new Assistant Principal, Toni Harbaugh. Toni is an accomplished special education teacher and is a huge asset to our team. She will be splitting her time between Jefferson and Horizon.
* Our new walking path is complete! We will be celebrating with a Family Event on Monday, October 10th at 5:30. Don't miss this fun evening! There will be special guests and free gifts for families! Our PTO is planning a number of fun events and challenges and of course there will be a birthday treat!
* The Tiger Trekkers, our new walking/running program will be starting soon! Kids can set goals and earn awards for meeting their goals.
* Our new playground blacktop has been repainted by teachers during the summer and on weekends. It's beautiful!
* Our office and entry has been decorated thanks to a gift from our amazing PTO and the hard work of staff. More 'beautfication' to come.
As a staff and students we will also be developing the language of leadership through the 7 Habits of Happy Kids. Student will be training in the 7 Habits:
1 - Be Proactive
2 - Begin with the End in Mind
3 - Put First Things First
4 - Think Win-Win
5 - Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood
6 - Synergize
7 - Sharpen the Saw
Plus, the newest habit...
8 - Find your voice and inspire others to find theirs.
At Jefferson our theme is "Reflect Your Leadership." Students will get opportunities to put these 7 Habits into practise through classroom lessons, school-wide events, and school-wide jobs. Kids will also be keeping Leadership notebooks where they will be setting goals and measuring their progress. Our Tiger Awards will be based on the monthly focus habit. We are excited to see our students develop and become leaders!
At Jefferson we also have a brand new reading curriculum with all the bells and whistles. The teachers and paraprofessionals are busy learning the resources and scheduling of this program. It has many new pieces that we hope will offer new opportunities for our kids. Along with this new curriculum, we will also be focusing on Comprehensive Literacy Plans, which will articulate the interventions that our staff will be providing to students needing support. These plans will be shared with parents for input. Please watch for more information to come.
This year, to help families, we are moving to more electronic communications. You will find links to newsletters here, but you can also call our office and we will make sure to add or update your email for electronic flyers and announcements.
There are some incredible things happening at Jefferson Elementary and we appreciate your involvement as a family. Please call with any questions you might have. We are always happy to meet with you.
Here's to a great year!